The Wiseman Centre operates a temporary emergency shelter that can accommodate 20 adults in private rooms. Criteria: Adults in need of emergency shelter.
Admission process: Call the Newfoundland Labrador Housing Corporation (NLHC) Emergency Shelter Line directly at 1-833-724-2444. You can also come in person to the Wiseman Centre on 714 Water Street, and staff will assist you in contacting NLHC.
Staffing: Frontline staff members are available to the residents 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, to provide support and assistance. We also have a Community Service (Housing) Worker whose primary focus is to provide individualized support for shelter residents in securing permanent accommodations. The Community Service (Housing) Worker helps former residents to sustain independent living in the community, through life skills guidance and eviction prevention. There is a full-time social worker on site.
Services and Programs: Residents will have access to the following:
- Shelter in a private room
- Three meals a day
- Hygiene/toiletries kit
- Laundry facilities
- Computer and phone access (long distance included)
- Access to our free clothing room
- Assistance with Income Support application
- Medication monitoring
- Assistance with ID replacement and SIN card replacement
- Bus passes
- Referral to community resources
- Assistance with housing search
- Wellness group
- Mental Health and Addictions Counsellor
- Narcotics Anonymous – DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, MEETINGS ARE SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
- Pastoral Care – Chat with the Chaplain, Chapel, and Chaplaincy Services as requested
Services to Formers NOTICE: DUE TO COVID-19 PANDEMIC, FORMERS’ MEALS WILL BE TAKE-OUT ONLY AND CHAPEL SERVICES ARE SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Drop-in Services for Former Residents: Former residents are invited for a hot meal and a welcoming atmosphere on Monday* afternoons 2:00 – 3:30 pm. (*NOTE: THIS HAS BEEN CHANGED FROM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOONS)
Formers Chapel/Supper: Former residents are invited to attend chapel on the 2nd Sunday of the month. Those who attend are invited to stay for the supper meal on that day. Space is limited, please call in advance
Housing Services: The Community Service (Housing) Worker helps former residents to sustain independent living in the community, through life skills guidance and eviction prevention.