The Wiseman Centre operates a temporary emergency shelter that can accommodate 21 adults in private rooms. Criteria: Adults in need of emergency shelter.
Admission process: Call the Newfoundland Labrador Housing Corporation (NLHC) Emergency Shelter Line directly at 1-833-724-2444. You can also come in person to the Wiseman Centre on 714 Water Street, and staff will assist you in contacting NLHC.
Staffing: Frontline staff members are available to the residents 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, to provide support and assistance. We also have a Community Service (Housing) Worker whose primary focus is to provide individualized support for shelter residents in securing permanent accommodations. The Community Service (Housing) Worker helps former residents to sustain independent living in the community, through life skills guidance and eviction prevention.
Services and Programs: Residents will have access to the following:
- Shelter in a private room
- Three meals a day
- Hygiene/toiletries kit
- Laundry facilities
- Computer and phone access (long distance included)
- Access to our free clothing room
- Assistance with Income Support application
- Medication monitoring
- Assistance with ID replacement
- Referral to community resources
- Assistance with housing search
- Wellness group
- Mental Health and Addictions Counsellor
- Narcotics Anonymous – DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, MEETINGS ARE SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
- Spiritual Care – “Reflections” weekly spiritual care group; pastoral counselling as requested
Services to Formers
Drop-in Services for Former Residents: Former residents are invited for a hot meal and a welcoming atmosphere on Monday* afternoons 2:00 – 3:30 pm. (*NOTE: THIS HAS BEEN CHANGED FROM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOONS)
Housing Services: The Community Service (Housing) Worker helps former residents to sustain independent living in the community, through life skills guidance and eviction prevention.